Available to assist immensely and provide services for a much lower rate than our therapists. Coaching is not counseling because coaches are not diagnosing or treating diagnosable conditions, instead coaches are there to assist you in making the daily follow through that is needed to achieve your goals. Often we all know what we need to do, but having an objective person to problem solve with us and hold us accountant can sometimes be all the that is needed to finally make those desired changes.
Anyone seeking coaching services, please keep in mind that coaching is not currently regulated so make sure, if you are going to pursue coaching services elsewhere, make sure the coach you invest in is a reputable coach that has undergone education and certification that is approved and regulated by The National Board For Health & Wellness Coaching. This is very important in order to distinguish the genuine health coaches from the snake oil life or health coaches that are too easy to find. Better Care Coach Adam Aletkin is continuing his education enabling him to offer the most cutting edge approaches to helping people realize their goals.
Our health coach offers educational perspectives, positive reinforcement, accountability coaching (we all need that sometimes) to work with clients on meeting their goals. At times these goals have already been established by their healthcare/mental health provider (primary care doctor or specialist, Dietician/nutritionist, or therapist). Other times people already know the goals that they have been working on but, haven’t experienced much progress or need some assistance with motivation and concrete daily action plans – in these cases people don’t need the expertise of a licensed therapist because a reputable coach could offer beneficial feedback and support.
Is hiring a health coach worth the money? Is it really that helpful?
Yes! And it is becoming evidenced based, backed up by research studies! According to reputable articles; for example this article from Harvard and this research study completed by the American Journal of lifestyle Medicine, which clearly supports health coaching as being highly effective for people managing a variety of chronic health conditions as well as to healthy persons striving to reduce health risk factors and live healthier lives.
Although there are many differences, both therapists and coaches can provide the following;
- Therapists and Reputable Coaches focus on achieving measurable goals and can offer short term or long term services depending on the client’s needs.
- Therapists and Reputable Coaches build trust and solid rapport with their clients and offer communication skills to actively listen and communicate to clients in ways the client can understand and teach goal achieving strategies.
- Therapists and Reputable Coaches empower their clients to achieve a higher level of health and functioning.
- Therapists and Reputable Coaches focus on the future. (Therapist could also focus on the past that contributed to current barriers whereas coaching will be solely solution focused on achieving present goals.
- Therapists and Reputable Coaches are most effective with clients prepared to participate in the change process.
Life Coach Vs Therapist by Tony Robbins